On 20 of August 2015, “Development of ecotourism and youth employment in Zaritap, Gomk and Martiros communities of Vayots Dzor province” project was started. The project was implemented by the “Young Biologists Association” NGO in cooperation with “Jermuk Development Center” NGO. The Ecotour Travel Agency is among supporters of the project by creating the official website www.zgm.ecotour.am for the “Zaritap-Gomk-Martiros” ecotourism trail. The bilingual website presents all required information for visitors.
The aim of the project was development of ecotourism in the region and generation of the additional income for young people of Gomk, Martiros and Zaritap villages of Vayots Dzor region. In frame of the projects capacity and practical skills of young people interested in ecotourism and related services have been enhanced. Also the tourism infrastructures have been developed.
On 11-13 and 18-20 of September, the capacity building trainings were organised for ecotourism guides in Gomk, Zaritap and Martiros communities in Armenia. During the trainings, it was presented biodiversity of Vayots Dzor province and advantages of ecotourism for local communities. In addition, the English language lessons were organized for participants. In the frame of the project, the “Zaritap-Gomk-Martiros” Ecotourism Trail was equipped by signs and 29 informational guide-boards.
On 2 of October, the final part of the project a demonstrative visit was organized to the “Zaritap-Gomk-Martiros” ecotourism trail. The attendees of the demonstrative visit were guides, representatives of tour agencies and environmentalists. Vice-president of the Young Biologists association NGO Dr. Sargis Aghayan presented the project after which the guests visited to the natural and cultural monuments of the ecotourism trail.
“Development of ecotourism and youth employment in Zaritap, Gomk and Martiros communities of Vayots Dzor province” project is implemented within the grant for NGOs provided by the Administration of the President of the Republic of Armenia. The project is also sponsored by The Rufford Foundation.
On 6 November 2013, the Ecotour Travel Agency celebratedWTM World Responsible Tourism Day in Armenia. We organized online competition on our official Facebook page. The competition was aimed to raise awareness of public on WTM World Responsible Tourism Day. In addition,Ecotour Travel Agency supported the Young Biologists Association NGO participation in the tree planting campaign in Alapars community in Kotaykmarz. The press release about the WTM World Responsible Tourism Day was also distributed via local media. The links you can find below:
“7or” online newspaper
“Ankakh.com” online newspaper
“A1+” online newspaper
Responsible Tourism is tourism “that creates better places for people to live in, and better places to visit”.
Responsible tourism as defined in the 2002 Cape Town Declaration:
• minimizes negative economic, environmental, and social impacts;
• generates greater economic benefits for local people and enhances the well-being of host communities, improves working conditions and access to the industry;
• involves local people in decisions that affect their lives and life chances;
• makes positive contributions to the conservation of natural and cultural heritage, to the maintenance of the world’s diversity;
• provides more enjoyable experiences for tourists through more meaningful connections with local people, and a greater understanding of local cultural, social and environmental issues;
• provides access for physically challenged people;
• is culturally sensitive, engenders respect between tourists and hosts, and builds local pride and confidence.
For more information please download Responsible Travel Handbook.